Wednesday 5 September 2012

Crimson Fists - Pedro Kantor - Chapter Master




Hello everyone

So today I slowly started working on the Chapter Master of my Space Marine army, the figure is a metal figure from Games Workshop (Pedro Kantor), I bought of Ebay a long time ago, but never got around painting. But now it feels like the time is right, since I'm taking a small break from the WW2 projects, got bugged down abit, and doing some Warhammer helps keep things fresh.



What can I say about the figure, it's made of metal and the details are exellent, I think GW started making this figure a part of their FineCast range, so if you bought a new one, it would probably be resin, but since I'm a cheap skate poor student, I bought it used of Ebay, which I would recommend to anyone wanting to start a cheap Warhammer army, since GW prices could ruin you rather quickly.



Onwards to the painting and pictures!


Painting

So like all my other Space Marines I started priming the entire figure black, then painting it blue (GW Regal Blue, think it's called Kantor Blue now after they decided to rename everything...). At the same time I also painted all the bling and weapons gunmetal, on alot of pictures I've seen of this figure people use alot of gold, but I for some reason just doesn't see that fitting for a Crimson Fist army, but then again I'm abit "special" ;-D

When everything was dry I gave it a heavy wash of black, I usually use the GW Badab Black wash (which is brilliant, probably also called something else now) but since I had run out I used a Vallejo Black ink diluted with quite alot of water, which gave pretty much the same result. It did turn the model a tad to dark in my humble opinion, so I decided to just highlight it slightly with the base blue.



Well that is what I've done so far. Here have some pictures.










Next up I painted the different red parts, in this case the fists and the vax on the seals. I used GW Scab Red as the base color, then washed with black and highlighted slightly with base red again.









Highlights

So for the first highlight I went with a mix of Regal Blue and Ultramarines Blue, and applied it fairly generously around the edges of the armor and on some of the upper parts where there would be more light. Then I added a few drops of Ice Blue to the mix and applied this lightly on the edges. As the other GW colors used, these probably have new names aswell now :-P

Considering an even lighter shade just on the upper most prominent parts and edges, but right now I'm actually pretty satisfied with the result, so might just keep it as is.











So I decided to do a very light highlight on some of the most prominent edges, for this I used GW Icy Blue, might have added abit to much on one of the shoulders, but will just fix redo it later.
I also did some highlights on the gloves using Scab Red, Blood Red and some white to build a couple of layers ending with a fairly pinkish color on the edges, think it looks ok.








So next up i've started working with some of the details, still a bit of way to go, but progress is good. I'm not going to write alot about how I paint the different details and accessories, I'll just say I mostly use washes (usually brown and black) to create shading, and then I highlight with a brush using the base color and perhaps another layer or two lighter on top of that. I don't really any any specific colors I use everytime, because I forget to write it down :-p



Finished?

I think I'm tempted to calling Kantor finished, well beside the banner which I will be doing next, but I quite look how he's looking now.

But I'm open to suggestions if anyone have some ideas for improvements.


Anyway pictures!



























You can see the finished figure here :-) 



Cheers
Chris


Comments and Questions are more than welcome, just post in comment section below.

3 comments :

  1. Wow! This guy looks awesome! I am slowly working thru my Pedro Kantor model as well. I see you changed yours up from the GW version, but the color combo is real good! I just got done with the backpack on mine and I have the banner left to finish, then I can field him and Cortez together on the battlefield. :)

    ReplyDelete